Dear friends, in the past weeks and months many discussions took place between the FIIC board and the organizing committee of the 2016 FIIC events (#FIICYUL2016). We are working on the last details, but here are some information we can already share with you; please read them carefully and contact us if you need clarifications:
GYMS: The games will be played at the Collègue Brébeuf in Montréal, where 2 full-size indoor gyms and an outdoor lacrosse field will be available.
Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/dTBK51k9aor
ACCOMODATION: Accomodation will be at the dormitories of the Collège Brébeuf.
DATES: Official dates are being confirmed with the venue owners, but we can already tell you that we target the two last weeks of July 2016.
PRICES: Pricing details are still being elaborated, in collaboration with the various partners, and will be communicated shortly. However keep in mind that, for Europeans, the most important expense will be the purchase of plane tickets.
WORLD GAMES: The World Games will take place in the usual formula.
WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP: The formula of the World Cup has be reviewed and will provide more flexibility, in order to allow more teams to participate and avoid having to cancel the event in case not enough team would register. Here are the details:
- The new elite competition of the FIIC will be called “FIIC inter-crosse World Championship”.
- It will be a world-class, high-level competition, gender distinct (separated competition for women and men).
- Member nations can send as many teams as they want; these teams will be named after the nation’s name and a sequential number (ie: Germany-1, Germany-2, etc.).
- Member nations who could not send a full team can associate and send a combined team.
- If two or more teams from Europe would register, Québec/Canada will provide two teams and the competition will be a standard tournament with a minimum of 4 teams.
- If only one team from Europe would register, Québec/Canada will also provide one team and there will be a “best of seven” competition, where the two teams will play against each other until a team reaches four wins and become world champions.
We discussed many formulas and we think that this formula is an very good alternative to the former World Cup, which proved unsuccessful in the past editions. However, after the event we will do a post-mortem, analyze all the details and make appropriate improvements for the future.
COMMUNICATIONS: Official information will come from the FIIC, through it’s standard communication channels (email, website, Facebook). Additionnaly, the organizing committee has already created a Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/montreal2016) and a website, Twitter account and Instagram account will be created shortly.
More details will come shortly concerning the dates, costs and registration procedure. Stay tuned…